There are many types of liver injury, but only one is normally associated with the use of oral androgens – cholestasis. This condition is defined as a failure of normal bile to reach the duodenum, which may be due to a number of different pathological states between the hepatocyte and the ampulla of Vater. When one takes oral androgens (typically methylated at C17a) the physical structure of the hepatocyte is altered — microfilaments and canaliculi become less contractile. Disruptions in the canalicular bile salt export pump may also occur. This leads to impaired bile flow and the retention of highly cytotoxic hydrophobic bile salts. At low concentrations, these retained bile salts cause apoptosis; at higher concentrations, necrosis and severe liver damage.
This is where Aegis comes into the picture. It was designed with users of oral androgens in mind, and brings together the best anti-cholestatic ingredients available.
1. Joana D. Ameral, Ricardo J. S, Viana, Rita M. Ramalho, Clifford J. Steer, and Cecília M. P. Rodrigues (2009), “Thematic Review Series: Bile Acids: Bile acids: regulation of apoptosis by ursodeoxycholic acid”, J. Lipid Res, 50(9) 1721-1734. doi: 10.1194/jlr.R900011-JLR200
2. Trauner and Graziadei (1999), “Review article: mechanisms of action and therapeutic applications of ursodeoxycholic acid in chronic liver diseases”. Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther, 13: 979–995. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2036.1999.00596.x
3. Dieter Häussinger, Anna Kordelia Kurz, Matthias Wettstein, Dirk Graf, Stephan Vom Dahl, Freimut Schliess (2003), “Involvement of integrins and Src in tauroursodeoxycholate-induced and swelling-induced choleresis “, Gastroenterology,124(5), 1476-1487
4. Ulrich Beuer (1997), “Effects of Bile Acids on Hepatocellular Signaling and Secretion”, YJBM, 70, 341-346
5. Frank Dombrowski, Bruno Stieger and Ulrich Beuers (2006), “Tauroursodeoxycholic acid inserts the bile salt export pump into canalicular membranes of cholestatic rat liver”, Laboratory Investigation, 86, 166–174. doi:10.1038/labinvest.3700371
6. Häussinger D, Kurz AK, Wettstein M, Graf D, Vom Dahl S, Schliess F (2003), “Involvement of integrins and Src in tauroursodeoxycholate-induced and swelling-induced choleresis”, Gastroenterology, 124(5), 1476-1487
7. Kolde G, Kessler E, Van Husen N, Themann H (1978), “Ultrastructural-morphometric analysis of polyenylphosphatidylcholine [PPC] treated cholestatic rat liver”, Z Gastroenterol, 16(10), 625-639
8. Françoise Chanussot and Liliane Benkoël (2003), “Prevention by dietary (n-6) polyunsaturated phosphatidylcholines of intrahepatic cholestasis induced by cyclosporine A in animals”, Life Science, 73(4), 381–392
9. Gonzales E, Davit-Spraul A, Baussan C, Buffet C, Maurice M, Jacquemin E (2009), “Liver diseases related to MDR3 (ABCB4) gene deficiency”, Front Biosci., 14, 4242-4256
10. Roes EM, Raijmakers MTM, Peters WHM, Steegers EAP. Effects of oral N-acetylcysteine on plasma homocysteine and whole blood glutathione levels in healthy, non-pregnant women. Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 2002 May;40(5):496–8.
11. Dodd S, Dean O, Copolov DL, Malhi GS, Berk M. N-acetylcysteine for antioxidant therapy: pharmacology and clinical utility. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2008 Dec;8(12):1955–62.
12. Arranz L, Fernández C, Rodríguez A, Ribera JM, De la Fuente M. The glutathione precursor N-acetylcysteine improves immune function in postmenopausal women. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 2008 Nov 1;45(9):1252–62.
13. Kerksick C, Willoughby D. The Antioxidant Role of Glutathione and N-Acetyl-Cysteine Supplements and Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2005 Dec 9;2(2):38.
14. Brownley KA, Von Holle A, Hamer RM, La Via M, Bulik CM. A double-blind, randomized pilot trial of chromium picolinate for binge eating disorder: Results of the Binge Eating and Chromium (BEACh) Study. J Psychosom Res. 2013 Jul;75(1):36–42.
15. Chen W-Y, Chen C-J, Liao J-W, Mao FC. Chromium attenuates hepatic damage in a rat model of chronic cholestasis. Life Sci. 2009 Apr 24;84(17-18):606–14.
16. Fan W, Liu A, Wang W, Zheng G, Teng A. Hepatoprotective activity of CrPic against alloxan-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2012 Nov;149(2):227–33.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
OTHER INGREDIENTS: Gelatin, Silicon Dioxide, Microcrystalline Cellulose.
As a dietary supplement, take three capsules twice daily. Take with meals. Keep refrigerated for optimal shelf-life. Use for a maximum of 8 weeks.
This product is for healthy adults over 18 years of age. Do not exceed recommended dosage. Consult a physician before using this or any dietary supplement. Do not use if you have any pre-existing medical condition or are taking any medication without consulting your physician. Store in a cool, dry place away from children.
BEST BY 10/19/17 Oh Yeah! Bar Overview ISS Oh Yeah! bars are about as close as you can come to candy bar taste and texture while still keeping the nutritional profile healthy. In each chocoalte coated Oh Yeah! bar, you’ll get as much protein as a typical shake, 26-30 grams depending on the flavor, along […]Learn More
Best by date 11/28/2017 Product Overview &amp;lt;img id=”onBanner” src=”https://store.bbcomcdn.com/deploy/images/brands/optimum-nutrition/isolate/bannerTop.jpg” alt=”Optimum Nutrition. Uncompromising Quality Is ON’s TRUE STRENGTH.”&amp;gt; &amp;lt;img id=”onBottleSm” src=”https://store.bbcomcdn.com/deploy/images/brands/optimum-nutrition/isolate/bottle-sm.png” alt=”Optimum Nutrition Isolate”&amp;gt; 25 GRAMS OF PROTEIN 5.5 GRAMS OF BCAAs 11 GRAMS OF ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS ON ISOLATE 100% OF THE PROTEIN FROM WHEY ISOLATE Single Protein Source is Whey Protein Isolate 25 Grams […]Learn More
If your subtotal is more than $70 bucks then you just put in the coupon code SHIRT70 Add the size shirt you wish to have to your CART Make sure your subtotal is >$70 Enter code SHIRT70 Your shirt will then be FREE — We only send awesome shirts. If your subtotal is not […]Learn More
Best by date 11/17 SCIVATION WHEY IS WHEY UNCOMPROMISED &amp;lt;img src=”https://store.bbcomcdn.com/deploy/images/brands/scivation/responsive/sci-whey-logo.png” class=”sciLogo”&amp;gt; CONCENTRATE + ISOLATE + HYDROLYSATE 30 Grams of Rapid-Absorbing, Unadulterated Protein per Serving No Nitrogen “Filler” Ingredients Like Glycine, Taurine or Creatine Packed with Naturally-Occurring BCAAs for Muscle Protein Synthesis* Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, & Extensively Hydrolyzed Whey 30 GRAMS OF […]Learn More
Bundle comes with Dymatize PRE W.O. , shaker, sample, box of bars Product Highlights 8g L-Citrulline Malate 3.2g Carnosyn 1.5g Nitrosigine 1.5mg BetaPower 125mg TeaCrine 200mg Coconut Water Powder Pre-Workout Formula that comes in 3 AMAZING FLAVORS: Limited Edition: Free Smartshake 20 oz. shaker cup & sample included. Perfectly Engineered. Energy. Strength. Pump. Intensity. Dietary […]Learn More
Yohimbine HCl has been one of the most popular supplements for men and women for years. Its popularity stems from its ability to help promote the mobilization of fatty acids from stubborn fat stores. Additionally, Yohimbine exerts an array of effects on male libido.Learn More
Controlled Labs Orange TRIad – Multivitamin, Joint, Digestion and Immune ORANGE TRIAD combines the most proven and effective vitamins, minerals, and nutrients for supporting optimal digestion, immune system, and joint health into one “twice daily” dietary supplement. Designed for the serious athlete, ORANGE TRIAD delivers! Serious athletes are unique in that they intentionally subject their […]Learn More